Wild Arkansas

October 17, 2008

Mushroom poisonings

Filed under: foraging, mushrooms, thistle, toxic plants — Tags: , , — WildArkansas @ 12:53 pm

With all the excitement about mushroom hunting (this is the season!), everyone going out on a foray should pay attention to all the warnings about poisonous look-alikes.

Here’s an article published last year at SF Chronicle about a whole family consuming death caps.

I learned just recently that milk thistle is regularly used to treat Amanita poisoning in Europe, but has not been approved by the FDA to use in this country. Nice to see a reference in which the medical community actually makes use of the knowledge available.

So far this year, I haven’t seen one poisoning in Arkansas…

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: